Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cumin Scones.


It is getting very near my due date and it's a funny kind of limbo I'm feeling. The tiredness is extreme but I'm trying to keep the apathy at bay. I haven't had the incredible urge to paint a room or tidy manicaly, instead I'm finding it hard to start jobs I might not finish. My great idea for dinner making: " Nigel & Karen"  hasn't got off to a very good start as the very next week nigel went on holidays...! We should be back on track this week. One thing I have been enjoying is catching up with people. I've had a few great lunches in which these scones have featured, the recipe is my Mum's but of course I have changed it a bit. I thoroughly recommend making them they are dead easy and perfect for accompanying a hearty soup. 

Cheese and cumin Scones
2 cups brown flour
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tblsp cumin seeds
5 oz butter
1 tblsp sugar
1 cup buttermilk/milk
1 large egg beaten with 1 tblsp water
1/2-3/4 cup grated cheddar
2 tsp baking powder
Mix dry ingredients except cheese together, rub in the butter, all 2/3 of the cheese. Mix in the buttermilk and all but 1tblsp of the egg. turn out onto a floured surface and cut into rounds. brush tops with egg and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 200 c for about 25 minutes until golden, allow to cool slightly, serve warm with butter. 
They freeze well. Feel free to try different cheeses, the original recipe has 3 cups of cheese but i think they don't need that much.


No comments:

Post a Comment