Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The fickleness of kids..


I caught up with two sets of friends I hadn’t seen in ages at the weekend. Both have children and I thought I’d make some cookies for them. Personal intials are always a winner, I decorated them with chocolate and sprinkles. Surprising to me, although one of the girls sucked the chocolate off all the ones in her batch refusing to eat the plain cookies, the little boy in the other family wouldn’t eat the chocolate part. I can never tell with kids. Perhaps they are perfect partners if you subscribe to the opposites attract theory. It reminded me of a catering job I did a little while ago it was a christening, a handful of the diners were children. I thought I’d keep them happy while being a little healthier than normal by doing roasted baby potatoes to accompany their meal. They weren’t buying it, ” these chips are horrible ” I think the quote went. Another of my great ideas thwarted. I’ll stick to chips in future!

Here is the recipe for the cookies:
175g soft butter
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
400g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Pre-heat oven to 180c
Cream the butter and sugar together until pale, and moussy, then beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients, add to the butter mixture, mix gently until it comes together, try not to overmix. Let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. Roll out to 1/2cm thick. Cut as desired. Bake for 8-12 minutes until golden, cool on a rack.
Decorate with coloured glace icing or what I did was melt some chocolate and dip the ends of the cookies in that and then in whatever sprinkly bits you want. 100’s and 1000’s are good, silver balls, nuts whatever you like.

2 comments: