Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Macarons

I've been contemplating making some macarons for ages now, they are very a la mode. I tasted a divine Lauderee salted caramel creation and vowed to give them a go myself. Many months later I finally got around to it. I hunted down some recipes courtesy of the www, my favourite included some powdered egg white, my search for this was fruitless and was taking up far too much time so I opted to change recipes and see how I'd get on. You can see photo's of my chocolate, and salted caramel attempt.
They look ok, not quite the shiny smooth finish I was hoping for, and they taste quite nice but what I loved about the lauderee one was it's intial crunch and then it's soft chewy centre, mine was all crunch so it's back to the drawing board with it. The salted caramel was wonderful though, and very easy. I'll post the recipe. Once I perfect the macarons I'll post that recipe too but work is needed before that happens.



Salted Caramel:
200g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
200g cream
4g maldon sea salt
140g butter, chilled and cubed
Cook the sugar in a heavy bottomed pot, stirring all the time until you get an even caramel. Meanwhile bring the cream up to boiling point. Add the seeds from the vanilla pod to the caramel. Add the cream bit by bit as it will bubble up. Then add the salt. Stir to make sure the caramel is all dissolved. Cool the mixture to approximately 50 c. Blend the butter in gradually with a stick blender, until you get a smooth glossy paste. Cool, then store in the fridge until you need it. Spread on macarons to sandwich two together.
I think this has potential for many uses, it is really delicious. It should store in the fridge fine for a week or two, if it lasts that long of course!





2 comments:

  1. I think this is a marvellous first attempt - they look beautiful. It is all about the squidginess though. I particularly love the pistachio Ladurée macaroon - it is like an emerald wonder biscuit. Or is it a cake? Hmm controversial. Either way I could eat them by the truck load. Death by Macaroon. Now that would be a way to go!

    More please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen,
    I flipping love salted caramel! And Macaroons? Macarons? I've seen both spellings. I'm adding your blog to my feedreader so that I don't miss the next instalment of the macar(o)ons :)
    Your photos are fabulous btw. Really slick! Thanks!
    E

    ReplyDelete